Apprenticeships with IIX
IIX is pleased to announce the opening of the application for the 2022 Summer Apprenticeship Program. The summer apprenticeships program will run from 16 May 2022 to 5 August 2022 for 12 weeks.
In view of the current ongoing global pandemic, IIX is also open to accepting apprentices working remotely from their place of residence. We hope to provide a meaningful work experience for all young professionals even if the world is in a lock-down.
About an apprenticeship with IIX:
You will join a highly effective team that provides you with an un-paralleled hands-on exposure to the Impact Investing and Social Finance space. You will thrive in applying finance and economic principles to tackle development issues and excel in creating solutions using structured strategies and innovative programs that address and solve the world’s most pressing problems, from food security to inclusive finance to clean energy. You will become a global development leader who has a passion for international development and you will get involved in work that makes a difference.
When you join IIX, you embark on 12 rewarding summer weeks where we are heavily invested in your professional development, as we will build on your strengths and help you gain new skills with training, encouragement and guidance in the right direction. The work experience at IIX is a value addition to advance your career, providing you invaluable exposure to the rapidly growing impact investing space.
With the knowledge gained at IIX, you will WANT to instigate change.
Thus, as a successful apprentice, you should be:
- Mission driven: Commitment to social finance and impact investing as a path to unlock society’s potential to effect social change is essential for a happy and successful tenure at IIX.
- Results oriented: At IIX, we manage toward impact maximization and produce measurable returns. These results strengthen the ecosystem and transform existing realities by helping impact enterprises magnify their impact and scale.
- Resourceful: While IIX is a seasoned stakeholder in the impact enterprise and impact investing space in Asia, we pride ourselves on creating new opportunities. Being resourceful and skilled at mobilizing human, financial and political resources to achieve IIX’s mission is a key part of the role.
Some of our clients include foundations such as the Rockefeller Foundation and Bank of America-Merrill Lynch Foundation, corporations such as Standard Chartered Bank and KKR, international non-profits such as Oxfam and World Vision, multilateral institutions such as the Asian Development Bank, UN Agencies such as UNDP, and government agencies such as USAID and Sida.
About the IIX Apprenticeship Program:
As an apprentice team member, you will learn about our businesses and build career-enhancing skills. This program is open to third and fourth year undergraduate and graduate level students from any field of study. While your discipline or major is not important, we’re looking for students with an outstanding record of academic achievement and an interest in changing the world by changing the financial markets.
A financial background is not necessary. Your area or major of concentration is less important to us than your potential. Whether you’ve distinguished yourself in economics or history, the next phase of your career will be shaped by your passion, energy and vision. We encourage you to apply, provided you share an interest in connecting the back streets with wall streets, and have demonstrated strong academic performance and professional drive.
- The Experience
We provide our new apprentices with the tools necessary for professional growth and career advancement. As a new apprentice, you will learn a great deal about the firm and how we do business and about the whole sector. You will gain the skills and knowledge necessary to support our businesses.
As part of the Summer Program, you will receive formal training followed by department-specific training. You will also receive ongoing training, based on your specific skill needs and interests, to bolster your professional development through learning in the workplace. There will be targeted skills enhancement workshops, discussions and team based projects apart from the daily and ad-hoc tasks. There will also be field visits to Singapore-based social enterprises.
The IIX Summer Program is based in the Singapore headquarters. We will provide a small stipend for food & local transport. The apprenticeship program is an intensive program where all apprentices will be participating as a core member of each team. Selected apprentices may also get field experience to support our work in South and Southeast Asia. An apprenticeship at IIX can open the doors for you to join the IIX team full time if you perform exceptionally well. Some of our full time staff have gone on to study at top Business Schools for their post graduate studies, for example at Yale, Georgetown, INSEAD, Columbia SIPA among others.
The IIX Summer Apprenticeship Program will run from 16 May 2022 to 5 August 2022 for a total of 12 weeks.
Interested candidates can submit their application at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note all accepted Summer Associates/Analysts will be working across teams as needed.
- Dates of Summer Program: 16 May 2022 to 5 August 2022 (12 weeks).
- Last date to submit applications will be 6 January 2022 and IIX will inform its final list of shortlisted candidates for Interview by 20 January 2022
- Short listed candidates will be required to complete a test and interview with at least one IIX team member. All offers will be made by 10 February 2022.
- Eligibility: Students who have completed their 3rd year of Bachelor’s degree (rising seniors) and MBA/Master’s/ Ph.D students are welcome to apply.
- Submit your latest resume, cover letter highlighting clear motivation to work in Impact Investing space in the long term, your university/college transcripts indicating your current GPA score, along with a writing sample.
- Due to limited openings on the summer program and an overwhelming number of applications, all applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and you are highly encouraged to submit your applications as early as possible.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the selection. If you don’t hear back from us within 3 weeks of applying, it means your application was not shortlisted. Additionally, you can also follow up with us after 3 weeks of applying, on the status of your application.
You may highlight in your application which core team you prefer to work with. However, the final decision to assign the team will be based on our assessment of your application.
What Do Our Past Summer Apprentices Say About Us?
“I felt everyone was very open and approachable whenever I had any questions. I had a great supervisor and working with them on the IIX Growth Fund was an amazing learning experience which gave me a lot of exposure to funds and how they work.”
“I had a very fruitful apprenticeship with IIX and the corporate finance team. The internal workshops like financial modelling and impact assessment broadened my knowledge base and honed my business analysis skills. I also gained valuable insights about impact investing space which culminates in tangible results. My supervisor and team members were very supportive and I highly recommend this apprenticeship to all students.”
“Working with the impact assessment team has been a great learning curve for me and it has opened my eyes to the challenges that impact enterprises face and the hopes, faith and value the impact community and the teams of IIX have for the future. Working with Durreen has been inspirational and her life journey has taught me the most important lesson: If you believe in something, you have to fight for it.”
“The most significant learning for me in the apprenticeship was importance of measuring impact and how to use SROI as a guide to do so, also learning about the gaps in the social enterprise ecosystem that IIX aim to fill through impact credit. This apprenticeship was excellent, very well structured and designed to maximize the learning experience of apprentices.”